In this workshop participants learn how to structure an effective mediation process and the techniques mediators use to help parties achieve quick, cost effective and constructive resolutions. Here are some of the things covered in this workshop:
- Negotiation and negotiation theory as it applies to mediation (encompases the material covered in our Negotiation Course)
- Pre-mediation processes
- Setting the table
- Helping parties explain their perspective
- Exploring interests
- Identifying and exploring issues
- Generating options
- Helping parties select options
- Techniques for breaking log jams
- Dealing with challenging people, situations and dynamics
- Power imbalances
- Facing challenges to independence and neutrality
- Framing issues
- Reality testing
- The role of advisers (lawyers, the supervisor of a party in a workplace mediation etc…)
- Multi-party and multi-issue dynamics and techniques
- Reframing damaging statements
- Ethical issues
- Adapting the process to the circumstances of the parties and the dispute
- Adapting the process to situations where the mediator or facilitator is not neutral or independent (such as where a managers acts as a mediator or facilitator to resolve disputes between employees)
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE TRAINING WE PROVIDE
For information about our lead trainer – Roger Beaudry
To read what past participants have said about our workshops – click here
AVAILABILITY OF OUR COURSES
Our Mediation Skills Course is currently only offered to organizations as a customized in-house workshop. Please contact Roger Beaudry at firstname.lastname@example.org to have Roger design a customized mediation skills course that meets the specific needs of your organization.
For a list of the courses we offer for individual general public registration, please click here.
Nos formations sont aussi offertes en français.
Our courses are also offered in French.